Here Margaret explains a little about the science of aromatherapy:
When I began training in 1984, Aromatherapy was relatively unknown, but now it enjoys the reputation of being the most popular complementary therapy. Everyone has discovered the power of essential oils in bringing health benefits to mind and body. Aromatherapy can offer a wide variety of practical benefits around the home and in day-to-day skin and body care as well as for many common ailments like stress, fatigue, insomnia, muscular and joint pain, respiratory infections, congestion, headaches, skin problems - and many others.
Aromatherapy - the therapeutic application of pure essential oils to the body - is convenient with our preparations.
- - In massage oils, creams and lotions, the essential oils penetrate through the skin and cell walls into the bloodstream to improve skin function, reduce inflammation and infection and encourage tissue repair. When combined with massage, the circulation and elimination of toxins is stimulated, painful muscular tension eased and deep relaxation of mind and body can be achieved.
- - Essential oils in our pure blends can be easily inhaled from a tissue, burner, or bath. Depending on the blend, the aromatic essential oil molecules help to relieve nasal congestion, infection and the bronchial constriction of coughs and asthma, or connect with the hormone and endocrine system triggering a reaction to modify and balance their function. This explains the powerful mental relaxant, stimulant or hormone regulating effects attributed to certain essential oils.
All Essential Care aromatherapy bath, body and skin care formulations contain essential oils at optimum dilutions for your safety and convenience and our essential oil blends are supplied with recommended guidelines for use.
Incorporating aromatherapy into your everyday life can make an effective and delightfully fragrant contribution to you and your family's health and well-being.
Essential Oil Guidelines
An essential oil is the concentrated, volatile substance which is extracted from the aromatic leaves, flowers, seeds, bark, peel or roots of a plant, usually by steam distillation. A complex blend of between 100 and 300 bioactive constituents including terpenoids, alcohols, aldehydes, phenols and esters gives each essential oil it's own unique fragrance and healing properties such as anti-microbial, analgesic, relaxant or expectorant. Several oils can be combined to provide a specific therapeutic action. The dynamic effect of a balanced, synergistic blend can be much greater than the sum of its individual oils. This is the basis of the skill and fascination of Aromatherapy. Please remember though, that pure essential oils are natural but highly concentrated substances which should be treated with respect. We recommend you follow these safety precautions for their use:
- - Essential oils should NEVER be swallowed.
- - Keep out of reach of children who might be tempted to use them for what they are not intended.
- - Avoid direct contact with eyes and delicate mucous membranes of mouth and genitals.
- - Always apply to the skin properly diluted - in a cold-pressed plant oil for massage, in the bath, in a skin cream, lotion, shampoo etc. The most common exceptions to this rule are Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) and Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) which may, in certain circumstances, preferably under professional guidance, be applied sparingly to the skin undiluted.
- - For children and during pregnancy further reduce the strength of your blend by at least 50%. If in doubt, seek professional advice. We believe that it is safe to use essential oils in pregnancy. Misleading articles in the press over essential oil safety arose in the past after some women drank a large amount of essential oil in a misguided attempt to induce miscarriage.
- - If skin sensitivity or allergy is suspected, "patch-test" the diluted blend on a small area of skin for 24 hours prior to use.
- - Store bottles tightly closed, away from direct heat and light to maintain their freshness and bioactivity. (All our essential oils are supplied in dark glass bottles with an integral dropper for ease of use.)