As part of Soil Associations ‘Organic September’ Make One Small Change campaign we are devoting this week to the Organic Home.
Part of our ethos is to live in a more organic and pure way, free from chemicals and environmentally unfriendly nasties. A big area where this can make a huge difference, both to your health and the world in which we live, is in the home.
Most of us are aware that bleach, polishes and VOC-filled room fragrances combine to build toxins both in our bodies and in the environment. But for many, there is an underlying belief that those chemicals are necessary to maintain cleanliness, or are simply easier to use.
Green cleaning brand Greenscents, one of our two Organic Home partners knows how untrue this is. The entire Greenscents range is certified as organic by the Soil Association and is accredited by Cruelty Free International. All Greenscents products have fabulous fragrances – from zesty Citrus, to cool Minty, and calming Lavender, refreshing Herbal or natural Nonscents. So there are no odd fragrances and there is also a non-scent range for sensitive skin types. With fantastic cleaning power and no harsh chemicals they definitely prove that a range can be clean and green!
Some other ways to make life easier:
- Ditch ammonia-based window cleaners! The windows in your home can be effectively cleaned with 4 tablespoons lemon juice mixed with a litre of water and rubbed down with an old baby-gro or t-shirt.
- If you are decorating, always keep small pots of vinegars around – they absorb the smell!
- Roll up unused pieces of tin-foil and keep it in the fridge to avoid the need to bleach regularly as a result of nasty smells.
- De-clutter! Have a great big clear out to make things feel more spacious and save on buying things you do not need. Offer things in a serviceable condition somewhere like Freecycle (link) and perhaps you might find something you need too!
- Add a few drops of essential oil to organic cotton wool and stash behind radiators for a lovely, VOC free way to make your room smell delightful!
- Avoid nasty oven cleaners – simply spray with cold water, sprinkle a thick layer of bicarbonate of soda over it and leave for an hour, then scrape away with a palette knife and rinse with warm water (use rubber gloves to protect your skin!).
- Lemon Juice is a natural antibacterial wipe! Wipe half a lemon over kitchen surfaces for a non-sticky, natural germ cleaner.
Even if you go green though, it is great to have a little luxury and that is where our second partners come in.
Greenfibres has been making and selling beautiful organic bedding and clothes since 1996. They offer customers a personal service, and take a thoughtful approach to all aspects of the product production. If you are looking for a flannel organic cotton pillowcase, Soil Association certified towel, a firm but bouncy natural and organic mattress, or some really comfortable socks, have a look at their website (www.greenfibres.com), you'll find all those things and more.
Green Fibres are offering 20% off your first order valid until 30th September with code ECGFORG20
TIP: Enjoy an even more restful night sleep in your organic bed when you put a couple of drops of organic lavender essential oil onto your pillows. A natural relaxant, it is great for those of you who struggle to switch off at the end of the day.