An essential oil is the concentrated, volatile substance which is extracted from the aromatic leaves, flowers, seeds, bark, peel or roots of a plant, usually by steam distillation.
A complex blend of between 100 and 300 bioactive constituents including terpenoids, alcohols, aldehydes, phenols and esters gives each essential oil its own unique fragrance and healing properties such as anti-microbial, analgesic, relaxant or expectorant. Several oils can be combined to provide a specific therapeutic action. The dynamic effect of a balanced, synergistic blend can be much greater than the sum of its individual oils. This is the basis of the skill and fascination of Aromatherapy.
We offer a range of around 20 essential oils which are all of certified botanical origin, therapeutic grade, organically certified and are sourced from reputable suppliers who batch test for purity.
For ease of use and optimal storage conditions, all the essential oils are supplied in dark brown glass bottles with integral dropper.
Please remember though that essential oils are highly concentrated substances which should be treated with respect. If in doubt, always consult a qualified aromatherapist. We also recommend you follow these safety precautions for their use:
- Essential oils should NEVER be swallowed.
- Keep out of reach of children who might be tempted to use them for what they are not intended.
- Avoid direct contact with eyes and delicate mucous membranes of mouth and genitals.
- Always apply to the skin properly diluted - in a cold-pressed plant oil for massage, in the bath, in a skin cream, lotion, shampoo etc. The most common exceptions to this rule are Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) and Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) which may, in certain circumstances, preferably under professional guidance, be applied sparingly to the skin undiluted.
- For children and during pregnancy further reduce the strength of your blend by at least 50%. If in doubt, seek professional advice. We believe that it is safe to use essential oils in pregnancy. Misleading articles in the press over essential oil safety arose in the past after some women drank a large amount of essential oil in a misguided attempt to induce miscarriage.
- If skin sensitivity or allergy is suspected, "patch-test" the diluted blend on a small area of skin for 24 hours prior to use.
- Store bottles tightly closed, away from direct heat and light to maintain their freshness and bioactivity.
Citrus aurantium bergamia 5ml
helps to relieve nervous anxiety and to promote a restful sleep£6.00Cedrus Atlantica 5ml antiseptic and relaxing essential oil£5.00Eucalyptus globulus or eucalyptus radiata 5ml
helps to relieve stuffy noses, sinusitis, fevers, coughs and congestion£4.00Pelargonium graveolens 5ml
restorative and balancing properties for all skin types£8.00Lavendula angustifolia 5ml
relaxing, healing, pain relieving and anti-inflammatory£6.00Citrus limonum 5ml
beneficial for oily skin, warts, athletes foot, infections and poor circulation£4.50Cymbopogon citratus 5ml
energising and toning with antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties£4.50